Pregnant women can still have healthy sex during pregnancy. Sex and pregnancy at the same time will not affect both the mother and the baby if you do it safely.
For the basic knowledge of sex and pregnancy, the fetus is in the uterus, surrounded by amniotic fluid and amniotic membranes. The husband’s penis cannot reach the embryo, and the semen cannot enter the uterus with a mucus plug in the cervical, which helps to limit the penetration of bacteria.
Therefore, the fetus cannot be affected by gentle sexual activities. However, if you are in a situation where you are prone to premature birth, miscarriage, or a warning from your doctor, you must avoid having sex during pregnancy.
What are the cases where sexual intercourse should be restricted during pregnancy?
Here are some cases when a doctor advises abstaining from sex:
- Having had a miscarriage in the first three months or premature birth
- There is cervical waist or cervical short
- Having twins or triplet pregnancy
- There are symptoms of pre-eclampsia like edema, high blood pressure
- Rupture of the amniotic sac
- Pregnant women or partners have sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, Herpes, etc.
- There are abnormal signs, such as vaginal bleeding, abdominal cramps, etc.
Does orgasm during sex cause premature birth?
Many people believe that orgasm during sex will cause uterine contractions and premature labor. However, this is not possible because these contractions are very mild, not enough to stimulate labor.
Should we use a condom?
Sexually transmitted diseases can adversely affect the fetus, such as amniotic fluid infection, fetal infection, premature birth, miscarriage, etc. Therefore, the use of condoms when having sex is essential in helping protect the mother and baby healthy.
How does pregnancy affect sex?
Hormonal changes during pregnancy significantly affect libido. Besides, the difference in body size also makes it difficult for couples to have familiar relationship positions. This change is usually different over time:
- The first three months of pregnancy: The process of pregnancy, tired body, and hormonal changes reduce libido and frequency. In this period, body size has not changed much.
- The third trimester of pregnancy: The blood flow to the genitals increases, the breasts grow, and vaginal fluid increases, so the libido usually increases during this period.
- The last three months of pregnancy: During this period, the belly has grown quite large, making it difficult to have sex. The husband and wife should choose the appropriate position to avoid affecting both mother and baby.
Is it possible to have oral sex during pregnancy?
Many couples wonder if pregnancy can have oral sex, and the answer is yes. But note the following:
- Do not blow air into a woman’s genitals. Because air can penetrate the circulation of the pregnant woman leading to air embolism.
- Before having oral sex, make sure your husband is not infected with oral Herpes. Because herpes virus can penetrate and cause disease to pregnant women.
Because the size of the pregnant woman’s body varies greatly, especially in the later months of pregnancy, the application of appropriate sex posture will help minimize the difficulties in sexual activity. Couples should sit together, share, encourage, and find the best solution to overcome this stage. If you have any questions about sex and pregnancy, do not hesitate to consult the specialist.