Performing enema helps to reduce pain, discomfort for children, and better support doctors in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Let’s find out below!
What is enema?
Anal enema for children is a procedure done by putting a volume of fluid through the rectum into the colon to treat constipation or support other methods of diagnosis and treatment. The purpose of enemas for infants and young children is to soften stool, support bowel movements, stimulate the thickened intestinal wall, and increase contractility to eliminate stool.
Also, it helps the cleansing of the colon and rectum when suffering from acute stools; and well-preparing for diagnostic tests or pre-surgical preparations.
The liquids used in enemas for infants include:
- Asthenic or isotonic solution: The amount of fluid is large;
- Hypertonic solution: small amount of fluid added;
- Oil: To lubricate the stool and intestinal mucosa to excrete the seat more easily;
- Douching of the colon: Enter into the colon with a small amount of fluid, repeat several times to stimulate peristalsis, support to expel stool.
Procedure for performing enema for infant
- Reconcile medical records to identify patients, explain to the children (depending on age) and family members. For older children, encourage children to drink from one to two glasses of water before performing enemas
- Wear a mask, wash hands, prepare equipment, and wear an apron
- Attach the cord, tie the cord to the bock, and lock the cord carefully
- Check the water temperature. Then, pour water into the bock, hang the bock on the hanging post about 10 cm higher than the anus of the child
- Place the child in an appropriate position
- The spread fabric under the buttocks, cover the pediatric child, and reveal the anal area
- Put the pea tub in a convenient place, wash your hands and wear gloves;
- Attach the catheter to the extension cord, expel the air, then smooth the catheter
- Insert the catheter into the anus by raising the child’s buttock, inserting the tube into the anus based on the umbilical direction, the length of the inserted tube according to the age or weight of the child
- Open the container and let the water flow with low pressure, hold the tube in one hand. At this time, health workers need to observe the pediatric child detect strange symptoms promptly carefully. If the baby has abdominal pain, suspend the water flow. If the baby has a lot of abdominal pain, lower the bock below the bed surface to reduce the pressure of water in, then encourage children to relax, breathe deeply and exhale quickly
- Check the water level in the bock. When the water is nearly gone, lock the connection cord and remove the catheter from the pediatric anus
- Hygiene and drying for children to rest
Enema is an essential technique performed in the diagnosis and treatment of many different diseases. When performing anal indentation, parents need to guide the baby to coordinate well with medical staff to avoid the risk of unforeseen complications.