Does mucus during pregnancy is the wrong symbol? Can it badly affect the health of the mother and fetus? Should mom go to see a doctor?
Cervical mucus is a normal physiological reaction during pregnancy. However, if there is too much mucus with smells and itching, the mother needs to pay attention and see the doctor find out what happens.
Why does mucus appear when pregnant?
Cervical mucus during pregnancy is an automatic defense mechanism of the body to reduce the risk of infection. The main reason for this phenomenon is because of the increased estrogen hormone. It leads more blood to the genitals.
At the same time, the pelvis and the vaginal wall are soft, so the amount of vaginal discharge must be increased to prevent bacteria from entering the uterus. Mucus during pregnancy will be milky, odorless or natural smell.
In the late months of pregnancy, the uterus begins to thin and dilate to allow the baby’s head to open fully. This dilatation can tear small blood vessels in the cervix, causing mucus to get a little bloody. Therefore, a little blood mixed in mucus is entirely healthy.
Is a lot of mucus a sign that you are pregnant?
If only based on this sign, it is not possible to confirm that the egg has been fertilized, making a nest in the uterus. To determine whether a white spot is a sign of pregnancy, women need to keep an eye on the following symptoms:
- Late menstruation: this is the first, and the most critical sign is determining whether you are pregnant or not.
- The breast is tight and sore: some women will experience swelling, itchiness and pain in the chest, even nipples during the first week of pregnancy.
- Menstruation: do not think when pregnant, you will not be menstruating. In some cases, in the early pregnancy, the mother’s body still has periods. And this phenomenon only lasts 1-2 days.
- Uterine contractions: an increase in mutated hormones causes the uterus to grow and become constricted.
Is mucus ominous during the first week of pregnancy?
As mentioned above, it is reasonable to discharge mucus-like egg whites during pregnancy without affecting the health of both mother and baby.
But in some cases, the mother can get fungal infections due to changes in PH, bacteria in the vaginal membrane. So if the following symptoms accompany mucus, it is necessary to seek medical attention immediately:
- Excessive mucus makes the underwear always wet
- ● Mucus has a foul, fishy odor, strange colors like blue, yellow due to infection
- Unusual white blood appeared with symptoms of back pain, abdominal pain
- If the fluid is white and itchy, you may have a fungal infection or flagella.
To encounter vaginal infections during pregnancy, the mother should note
- Keep the genital area clean by washing with water, then pat dry several times daily.
- Change underwear two times/ day
- Choose the underwear with high absorbent material, not too tight.
In conclusion, the appearance of mucus during pregnancy is a positive thing to help prevent external effects on the fetus. However, mom needs to pay attention to clean vaginal hygiene to avoid inflammation.