Complete the first aid kit for your baby by choosing the best baby thermometer in the market. Read the top 10 list and buying guide for better choosing experience. Choose the most accurate and reliable thermometer for checking his body temperature.
When your baby gets feverish, you need to have a reliable and accurate baby thermometer to measure his or her body temperature. This is necessary so you can gauge the need of rushing your baby to the hospital or call your family doctor.
There are different types and brands of thermometers in the market. It will take a huge amount of time and effort for you to conduct your market research for comparing and choosing the right one.
For your convenience, I have done the market research on your behalf. Just read through the buying guide and the list for the top 10 best baby thermometer 2020.
Why you should buy a Baby Thermometer?
The main reason for using a reliable thermometer when your baby is feverish is to have an accurate measurement of its body temperature.
When you can get an accurate measure of his temperature, you have a better judgment of whether calling the doctor is necessary or not. Likewise, there are specific temperature range to note where you need to give medication for your baby.
When to Call Your Doctor?
Your accurate thermometer will provide the exact reading of your baby’s temperature. Here are the temperature values to note which tells you to call your doctor right away.
Temperature reading that indicates your baby has a fever:
- Armpit – 37.2 °C or 99 F
- Oral – 37.8 °C or 100 F
- Ear, rectal, and Temporal – 38 °C or 100.4 F
- Call your doctor for the following situations
- Age 6 to 24 months with temperature reading above 102 F which lasts longer than one day. If other signs like cough, colds, or diarrhea are present, immediately call your doctor.
- Age 3 to 6 months with temperature reading reaching 102 F
- Age 3 months and younger with a rectal temperature reading reaching 100.4 F or above
Different Types of Thermometer
There are several classifications of modern thermometers in the industry. Each type has its respective benefits and setbacks which you need to consider in choosing. Check out the various types below.
This type provides a precise reading but not that accurate compared to other types like rectal and oral thermometers. However, they are priced affordably compared to other types and easy to look for in any shop.
This type provides slight discomfort because it needs to be inserted into your child’s rectum. Among all types, this one provides the most accurate body heat reading. This model is suitable for baby’s age three months and younger.
This type is placed under your child’s tongue and readings are taken after a few minutes. Similar to rectal models, this one provides an accurate reading of your baby’s body heat. This model is suitable for the age of four years and older.
The infrared system used for this type contributes to its higher upfront price. It uses an infrared scanner to measure the heat in the temporal artery of your child’s forehead. When it comes to accurate readings, this one is an excellent choice.
Pacifier and Fever Strips
These types have low accuracy, so we do not highly recommend them. However, for rough estimates, these types can do well. Likewise, you can buy them at an affordable price.
Top 10 Best Baby Thermometer Reviews
We are finally here for our top 10 lists of best baby thermometers. Read through each pros, cons, and features of each brand and model. Hopefully, you can choose one thermometer at the end of this article.
Best for Overall: Mosen BabyThermometer
|Item weight||3.52 ounces|
|Temp. range||10 to 40°C|
- Instant Reading Fever Ear and Forehead
- Measuring distance is 1-5 cm, quick measurement time
- Very low error allowance and easy to use for whole family.
- Efficient infrared technology
- Easy to use and durable construction
- The accurate and efficient temperature reading
- Works as expected, no gripe
This digital thermometer is convenient to use and accurate to get the readings of your baby’s body heat. It has great infrared technology that can readily measure heat from a distance of 1 to 5cm.
The range of error is very low, approximately +0.2 °C. Its temperature range is between 32 to 43°C. All electronic buttons are durable and smooth to press. The overall housing construction of this item is sleek and reliable.
Make sure to have one of these thermometers in your medicine kit to have an accurate way of telling your infant has a fever or not.
Best Infrared Thermometer: Digital Infrared Forehead Thermometer
|Item weight||10.6 ounces|
|Temp. range||34 to 41 °C|
|Measuring time||1 second|
- One-second measuring time duration
- Forehead Thermometer
- Pediatrician-recommended and FDA-cleared
- Safe, Accurate & Reliable
- Convenient to use
- Durable and safe housing and parts material
- An accurate and fast temperature reading
- No complaints, Less maintenance
This digital thermometer has exceptional infrared technology that works efficiently in getting accurate temperature readings. Aside from taking the body heat of your infant in their forehead, you can also use this for measuring the temperature of the room or hot items.
A great added feature includes its fever alarm system which includes two backlights and smart alarm. This enables a hassle-free way for parents to determine if their infant is feverish.
See More: Best Baby Food Makers 2020
Best Ear Thermometer: Braun ThermoScan 5 Ear Thermometer
|Item weight||11.7 ounces|
|Temp. range||34-42.2 °C|
|Measuring time||60 seconds|
- Comes with a disposable lens filter
- Fast measurement duration
- With light and sound alarm for position guidance inside the ear
- Can store up to 8 readings
- Auto shut off mode
- No need for pre-warming of its tip
- Highly accurate than a rectal thermometer
- Easy to use and great modern features
- All worth the price, no complaints
When you are looking for a dependable ear thermometer with reasonable price, this one from Braun is the smart choice. Its infrared system is highly efficient and reliable in measuring heat from your infant’s ear.
It comes with a 21 lens filter that prevents contamination. Removing the lens filter is simple, just press the ejector button. This item has a temperature range between 34-42.2 °C.
Once inserted inside the ear, it has a built-in guide which tells you that the sensor has reached the right place inside. The indicator is a light and sound alarm. Likewise, it can store up to 8 temperature readings.
When left unused for 60 seconds, it automatically shuts off to save battery life.
Best for Oral and Rectal Reading: iProven 2019 Digital Thermometer
|Item weight||1.6 ounces|
|Measuring time||10 seconds|
- Flexible, easy to wash, and durable tip
- Fast measuring time and accurate readings
- Easy to read LCD display
- Durable and safe material
- Hygienic tip
- Easy to use
- Works as expected, excellent oral and rectal thermometer
This digital thermometer from iProvenhas an excellent infrared system that measures body heat in the oral and rectal cavity of your baby. Once inserted, you just have to wait 10 seconds to get its accurate reading.
Its tip is easy to clean and made from safe and durable plastic and metal piece. Likewise, it is flexible so no worries about a broken tip. The tip is also waterproof.
It has a smiley indicator that tells you if your baby’s temperature is still okay or not. Make sure to have this digital baby thermometer for your infant and adult.
See More: Best Crib Mattresses 2020
Braun ThermoScan 7 Ear Thermometer
|Item weight||1 lb|
|Measuring time||3 seconds|
- ExactTemp Technology for a more accurate reading
- Excellent Fever Guidance Mechanism for easier detection of fever
- Durable and safe materials
- Efficient and accurate temperature readings
- Easy to clean and store
- Hassle-free to use
- Works as expected, nice to have for your medicine kit
This ear thermometer from Braun has an accurate infrared scanner in measuring the body heat of your infant. It has four digital electronic buttons which are straightforward to use. The LCD screen display is easy to read with backlight.
Its Exact Temp Technology is highly efficient and dependable. Likewise, it has a color-coded alarm system to indicate the different levels of body temperature. After inserting in the ear, just wait for a few seconds then you will have the exact reading.
Best Forehead Thermometer: Vigorun Digital Infrared Thermometer
|Item weight||4.8 ounces|
|Temp. range||32 – 42.9 °C|
|Measuring time||One second|
- Accurate temperature reading for body and room
- A fast and reliable temperature reading
- Compact design and durable construction
- Easy to use and maintain
- Versatile and durable thermometer
- Quick and reliable temperature measurement
- Nothing to gripe about it
This digital thermometer from Vigorun is highly versatile. You can use it to measure body heat in the forehead and ear of your infant. If your baby grows older, you can still use this thermometer as it applies to age groups.
If your infant has a fever, it has a sound and light alarm system. When it comes to keeping readings, this item can store 35 temperature readings. This infrared thermometer is easy to use and only takes one second to give a reliable reading.
Meanwhile, you can readily measure the temperature of your baby’s body or room at a distance of 1-6 cm. Parts and housing material is safe and sturdy. Great thermometer for your baby, adult, and room.
See More: Best Baby Activity Center 2020
iProven Digital Ear Thermometer
|Item weight||4 ounces|
|Temp. range||32 – 42.9 °C|
|Measuring time||One second|
- Clinical calibration for 100% consistency and accuracy
- Durable and safe ABS material and parts
- Quick and easy to use
- Sound alarm detection for a guide position
- Consistent and accurate readings
- Safe and compact design
- Friendly to use and easy to maintain
- None to complain so far
This electronic thermometer from iProven efficiently works on the ear and forehead. No worries about inconsistency because it has been clinically calibrated. Likewise, its infrared scanning system works accurately in capturing and measuring heat.
It is very easy to use because you only have two buttons to manipulate – ear and forehead buttons. Simply place this device on the ear or forehead of your infant. Once in the right position, you will hear a loud indicator sound.
The measurement duration time is only for one second. It also has a good memory capacity which can store up to 20 temperature readings. The LCD screen display also has a backlight which enables you to quickly see the reading.
TTURE Infrared Digital Thermometer
|Item weight||8.8 ounces|
|Temp. range||34 to 42.9°C|
|Measuring time||2 seconds|
- Auto shut-off mode
- 2-second measurement duration time
- Measuring the distance of 1-3 cm
- Can store up to 50 readings
- Calibrated already and accurate readings
- Excellent functional modern features
- Quick and easy to operate
- Excellent digital thermometer for the price, no complaints
This infrared driven electronic thermometer can be used to measure body heat in the ear and forehead of your infant. Gone are the days where you have to simply check the temperature of your baby using your hand or the traditional armpit thermometer.
This clinically calibrated thermometer provides seamless consistency and accuracy in its readings. It has an LCD screen display with a backlight so you can readily check the reading.
It is very easy to use, just one press of a button and wait for two seconds to get the reading. It shows both degrees Celsius and Fahrenheit temperature reading. There is a very minimal error with this model – 0.1 °C. Meanwhile, the temperature range for this model is between 34 to 42.9°C.
It also automatically shuts off after 18 seconds of inactivity. This helps you save battery life. You can also use this to measure room or object temperature at a distance of 1 to 3 cm.
See More: Best Baby Shower Gifts 2020
Best for Smart Technology: Kinsa Smart 3-in-1 Thermometer
|Item weight||2.4 ounces|
|Measuring time||8 seconds|
- Temperature readings can switch from °C to °F
- Face indication if your child has a fever or not
- Can be used on the armpit, mouth, or rectum
- Auto shut-off mode after 30 seconds of inactivity
- Extended battery life – allows you to make around 600 temperature readings
- Waterproof housing
- Simple to use
- Visible LCD screen display with backlight
- Efficient and accurate readings
- Excellent smart features and app initiation and monitoring of temperature
- Nothing to complain so far
This digital thermometer has the best smart feature which can be linked to your mobile phone. You just have to download the Kinsa Quick Care App on your phone for initiating its functions and features.
It is highly versatile because you can readily use it on the armpit, oral, and rectal cavity of your infant. Accuracy and consistency of temperature readings are unbeatable. Once it is in the right position, you just have to wait 8 seconds for the reading to appear.
Likewise, there is a very minimal allowance for error with this device, approximately 0.1 to 0.3 °C. For such a reasonable price, you will never regret investing in this thermometer. Safe and guaranteed accuracy.
Best for Budget: FVSTR Forehead & Ear Thermometer
|Item weight||5.3 ounces|
|Measuring time||One second|
- One button operation
- LCD screen display with backlight
- Accurate and consistent readings
- Auto shut-off after 30 seconds of inactivity
- Light and beep sound alarm system
- Temperature unit conversion
- Affordable price and great functionality
- Easy to use and extended battery life
- Excellent modern features and safe to use
- Nothing to gripe works as expected
For those on a tight budget, this digital thermometer from FVSTR is your greatest solution. This can be used in measuring body temperature on the ear and forehead of your infant and toddler. The overall quality is not compromised for this affordable price.
Similar to other electronic thermometers, you can easily switch the readings from degrees Celsius to Fahrenheit. It also has a light and beep warning system for different levels of body temperature, particularly when reaching the fever stage.
Simply turn on its power button and aim for the ear or forehead of your baby. After, press the scan button and wait for one to two seconds until the final reading shows. Its memory storage can also store up to 32 readings.
See More: Best Baby Breast Pump 2020
Before, most households are using a glass mercury thermometer to measure body temperature. However, the risk of mercury leak forced companies to create digital and electronic thermometers.
To guide you through the choosing process, here are the basic features you need to look for the best baby thermometer.
Most modern and electronic thermometers have sensors that can detect and record body heat. Other models use infrared to scan the ear canal to measure body heat. Read the product specification of each item to see the sensitivity of its reading.
Quick Reading Time
It will be challenging to keep your infant still for a longer time to take their body temperature. It is best if the thermometer can do an accurate, quick reading of their body heat.
Safe and Pain-free to Use
Make sure to check if the part to be inserted inside any body parts of your infant is round and free from sharp edges. Likewise, the material and housing of these items must be free from any hazardous components like lead and BPA.
Some types of thermometers may not be suitable for those aged one year and younger. Inline, oral thermometers won’t be much suitable for this age level because of the physical aspects of the child.
Meanwhile, you can always ask your doctor for a recommendation for a suitable thermometer for your child. Further, for older children, a rectal thermometer might cause discomfort so better go for other types.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best classification of a thermometer for babies?
Rectal thermometers provide the best accurate readings for babies ages 3 months and below.
What is the least accurate thermometer to use?
Armpit thermometers provide the lowest body heat readings, but very easy to use.
What is the recommended thermometer for older children?
An oral thermometer is most suitable for this age. It provides great accuracy because of its means of measuring body heat.
What is the appropriate age for using an ear thermometer?
This type of thermometer is recommended for children older than 6 months. Likewise, adults can use this one as well.
Ear vs Forehead Thermometer – Which is More Suitable for Babies?
For infants, the best type to use is the rectal thermometer considering it provides the most accurate heat reading. Nonetheless, the forehead thermometer provides a more convenient way of reading your baby’s body heat without invading any body parts.
In contrast, ear thermometers provide an accurate reading as well but may give slight discomfort for your infant.
What is the standard temperature of a baby’s forehead?
The average normal temperature of your infant’s forehead is 97.5 F or 36.4 °C. Meanwhile, if the reading goes higher, it means your baby is feverish. If it reaches 38°C, then your infant is having a fever.
Pros and Cons of Forehead Thermometer
Check out the setbacks and advantages of having a forehead thermometer for your baby.
- Simple and easy to use – Just place the scanner on your baby’s temple or forehead and press the scan button
- A quick and efficient way of getting body temperature. Most models have a measurement duration of around 1 to 10 seconds
- Consistency of reading is dependent on the resolution and quality of an infrared scanner in the device
- Most of these types are susceptible to heat. Store them at room temperature to avoid damages to its scanner and parts
Pros and Cons of Ear Thermometer
Learn the pros and cons of this thermometer before buying one.
- This provides better accuracy in its temperature reading
- A fast and efficient way of measuring body heat of your infant and toddler
- Not advisable to use when your child has an ear infection
- Slight discomfort because of the invasive nature of using this thermometer
- Not advisable to use for babies that are younger than 3 months
Our Top Pick
The top pick baby thermometer for this article is DPPAN Forehead Digital Thermometer. Its overall functionality, aesthetics, and convenience are remarkable.
This forehead thermometer truly revolutionized the way we take care of our young ones. It is never easy becoming parents, especially taking care of our babies. This infrared thermometer has excellent accuracy in measure heat in the forehead.
There is very least room for error with this device, around +0.2 °C with a temperature range of 32 to 43°C. Likewise, this is completely hygienic and easy to use.
For measuring objects and rooms, a distance of 1 to 5 cm will do. Overall, this is a great digital baby thermometer to have in your medicine kit.
Related – How to take your baby’s temperature
Nevertheless, I hope you had a fruitful time reading through the entire article. The final decision still stays on your hand. Be wise and go for quality, instead of focusing on affordable price. You can also have your market research after this.