Preconception Pregnancy Baby Parenting Grandparents
home > topics
 
 
Topics A-Z

Cycle Beads and the Standard Days Method

Benefits

Some women choose natural family planning methods over other forms of contraception because they are inexpensive and they do not have side effects. Others choose them because they may be the only morally acceptable form of contraception in their religion. Whatever the reason, it is true that there are benefits to using a method of natural family planning like the Standard Days Method.

Thanks to the development of Cycle Beads as a way of ensuring you use the Standard Days Method correctly, natural family planning couldn't be easier. In addition to ease of use, research has shown that the Standard Days Method is more than 95 percent effective in fertility awareness. And most women would agree that an effective method without side effects sounds almost too good to be true. Reliable, inexpensive, non-invasive and non-hormonal, it's no surprise natural family planning methods are gaining popularity.

Drawbacks

Unfortunately, the Standard Days Method cannot be used by all women and is only a good option if your menstrual cycle lasts from 26 to 32 days and if you have regular periods. According to the World Health Organization, about 80 percent of women's cycles are between 26 and 32 days long. If you fall under the other 20 percent of women whose cycles end sooner or last longer, the Standard Days Method probably isn't for you.

Most natural family planning methods also require periodic abstinence, which may alter your normal sex life and could pose a problem in this aspect of your relationship. Periodic abstinence also limits spontaneous sex, which may be also be challenging. In addition, natural family planning methods do not protect against STDs, so if you are trying to avoid pregnancy and are not in a monogamous relationship, condoms are a better option for you.

Success Rates

The Standard Days Method and other forms of natural family planning can be used as ways to achieve pregnancy, but they are more often used to avoid it. In a clinical trial of 478 women in Bolivia, Peru and the Philippines, the IRH found that among those who used the Standard Days Method correctly as a form of birth control, it was more than 95 percent effective. In other words, out of 100 women using the method for one year, fewer than five of them would get pregnant. In comparison, researchers also found that out of those women who did not keep careful track of their menstrual cycles and had unprotected intercourse during their 12-day window of fertility, 12 out of 100 of them got pregnant during their first year of use.

No research has been conducted to see how effective the Standard Days Method is in helping a couple who is trying to conceive, but Cycle Beads can help you pinpoint your fertile days and cycle length, which is an important first step toward becoming pregnant.

Cost

Cycle Beads cost anywhere from $10 to $15 and can be purchased over the Internet. While they are known to be an efficient tool for helping women keep track of their fertile and infertile days, it is possible to use the Standard Days Method successfully without using Cycle Beads simply by keeping track of your cycle on a calendar.

<< Previous Page   1   2  

 


 

Featured Sites:

Cord Blood Registry
March of Dimes
Susan G. Komen



Bookmark and Share

Home . Site Map . About Us . Disclaimer . Privacy

All information on PreconceptionWeekly is for educational purposes only. The place to get medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment is your health care provider. If you have any concerns about your health or the health of your baby, consult with your health care provider at once. Use of this site is subject to the Disclaimer and Privacy Policy.

Copyright © 2000 - 2014 CBR Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.