The following are some of the most popular fertility-promoting herbs:
- Chaste Tree Berry - Chaste tree berry, also known as Vitex, may take several months to build up in your system, but once it does, it can have a profound effect on your ability to conceive. Used by the Greeks for centuries, chaste tree berry is the most clinically studied herb known to help regulate hormones in women.
Research suggests that chaste tree berry affects the pituitary gland - more specifically, the production of progesterone. By stimulating and normalizing the pituitary gland's progesterone function, chaste tree berry can help minimize symptoms of PMS, regulate your period and improve your chances of conception if you have a hormonal imbalance. It is safe to take during your entire cycle.
- Black Cohosh - More commonly used as a treatment for mood swings, hot flashes and vaginal dryness associated with menopause, black cohosh has a long history of use by Native Americans and it also believed to help regulate LH levels, keeping periods and ovulation more regular. It can also help relieve menstrual cramps and can be taken during the first half of your cycle, from menstruation until ovulation.
- Dong Quai - Another herb that is known to help regulate the menstrual cycle is dong quai, a traditionally valued Chinese herb that is noted, among other things, for providing important nutrients, such as iron, vitamin B12 and vitamin E. Dong quai is also known for it's ability to balance estrogen levels and may be helpful in improving the chances of implantation for women who have auto-immune disorders. It is also a blood-thinning herb, so you should not take dong quai during your period.
- Wild Yam - Another herb that is known to increase production of progesterone in women with short luteal phases (from the day after ovulation begins to the end of the menstrual cycle) is wild yam. It is important to note that wild yam should only be taken after ovulation, as it can prevent ovulation if taken before.
- False Unicorn Root - Sometimes called a "tonic for the reproductive organs," false unicorn root can be used to treat delayed and painful periods, endometriosis, hormonal imbalance, morning sickness, threatened miscarriage and ovarian cysts. It is said to have a stimulating and normalizing effect on the ovaries, aiding in both getting pregnant and staying pregnant. You should only take false unicorn root during the first half of your cycle from menstruation to ovulation. It is also said to be helpful in treating men with fertility issues.
- Red Clover Blossom - High in vitamins, calcium and magnesium, red clover blossom is one of the most popular herbal remedies for promoting fertility. It nourishes your uterus and relaxes your nervous system, which helps promote fertility. In addition, its high protein content can benefit your whole body. Taken daily, red clover blossom can also help balance hormones.
- Red Raspberry Leaf - Red raspberry leaf has been used for centuries and is also among the most popular fertility-promoting herbs. High in calcium, red raspberry leaf does not have a direct impact on ovulation, but is known instead for its ability to help strengthen your uterus and prepare it for pregnancy. Red raspberry leaf works best to promote fertility when combined with red clover blossom and can be taken during your entire cycle.
- Ginseng - Most commonly used by men, ginseng can promote fertility in both men and women. It stimulates the immune system and can raise testosterone levels, help treat impotence, and increase sexual desire, sperm count and sperm mobility.
- Licorice - Similar to dong quai, licorice is believed to help balance estrogen levels. However, a moderate amount of licorice has been linked to an increase in blood pressure, so if you have high blood pressure or high cholesterol, hypertension or kidney disease, you should not use licorice as an herbal remedy.
- Nettle Leaves - Another herb that is beneficial to other parts of your body, specifically your kidneys, is known as stinging nettle. It contains high levels of chlorophyll, which can help regulate your hormones and your cycle, and is also a helpful uterine tonic, strengthening and toning your uterus.
<< Previous Page
Next Page >>